Monday, September 1, 2008

Salvating Saturday

I've been doing some cleaning out of my cooking magazines. They were taking up almost an entire shelf and it wasn't going to shrink any time soon, so I came up with a plan. Go through every magazine mark the recipes that I like and tear them out and put it in page protectors. Then take all of the recipes and organize in a notebook under desserts, appetizers, main course, salads, etc.

It has really opened up some shelf space and now I can find those recipes that WERE SO GOOD and only made once because I couldn't remember which magazine it was in. Needless to say, I've enjoyed imaging these dishes in my head as I've read through the mountain of magazines. And we've enjoyed many new and old savory suppers. I wanted to share a new recipe that we really enjoyed this past Saturday. After making this dinner, I realized it would be a perfect dinner to make in smaller 8x8 dishes and share half with someone and still have supper for your family! Or invite company over for a visit!

Baked Beef Stroganoff Casserole
2 pounds ground chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (14.5 oz.) can beef broth
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and kept warm
2 tablespoons butter
1 (3 oz.) can French fried onion rings

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.

In a large skillet, cook ground chuck, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is browned and crumbles. Drain.

Return meat to skillet and stir in Worcestershire, mushrooms, and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in soup, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat.

Combine hot cooked noodles and butter, stirring until butter melts. Combine noodles and meat sauce. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes Top evenly with fried onions and bake for 10 more minutes.


**Note: I left out the extra mushrooms because the hubby doesn't care much for them and I only used about 1 1/2 ground chuck not 2 and it was still VERY yummy.

The perfect pairing to this main dish was Peggy's Corn Casserole! I know, I know...my husband said I was a casserole freak! But he followed up with "I Love It!":)

Peggy's Corn Casserole
1 stick butter, melted
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
8 0z. sour cream

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into a 9x13 greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


These were soooo yummy together! A green pea salad would have really topped the meal off, but I would have been the only one eating it!

Hope you try these and enjoy them as much as we did (and are still are, the leftovers are yummy too)!

7 comments:

Kristi said...

I am CRAZY over organization! I want to do this trick too - there are some recipes that we liked, but I only cooked once, too...

Rebecca said...

That sounds sooo good. I am always looking for new recipes.

Unknown said...

The stroganoff recipe sounds great!

Brandon's mom has made that corn casserole ever since I came into their family (before, actually) and it's always been one of my faves.

Unknown said...

Yummy! Girl, you don't look like you've been eating much of this good sutff lately. You look so fantastic. Please share your secrets!!

Leah said...

I actually just did this a week or so ago!! Great minds...:)

I LOVE Peggy's CC!! Thanks for reminding me about it! I don't make it enough!!

Lynne Griffies said...

I did that years ago. I even made a really neat cover page on the computer to put on the front of the binder.
That corn casserole sounds really yummy!

Melissa Lester said...

Those recipes sound so good. My mother used to make a beef stroganoff casserole that was a family favorite. Maybe I will give this one a try to see if it could be a favorite of ours.