Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bugs & Bible


Yesterday we found this strange bug on the back porch. So, today it was still there. Charlie had already gone to work, so I took pics of this bug and sent them to him asking what it was. He emailed me back and said "just pick it up and throw it into the bushes, it's just a stick bug". A stick bug!! I've never seen one that looked like this before! Then I turned to Google and found a neat site where people submit their questionable bugs and they reply with what it is. And sure enough it was a stick bug. To be more exact it was a Two Striped Walkingstick or some call a Witch's Horse or a Devil's Riding Horse. Anyways, it's actually two stick bugs mating...the little one is the male and the larger one is the female--that figures ;) And I'm glad that I didn't pick it up and throw it because it can spray you in the eyes with something that will burn and make you have blurry vision for hours. So, we'll let Daddy take care of this. Well, we came home from Church tonight and it wasn't in its same place so Daddy will still have to investigate the porch tomorrow before we venture outside. Anyways, we learned a little more about bugs today and now maybe you have too!


I'm constantly amazed at Austin's memory! He will just start talking about something and it takes me a while to figure out where he's coming from. On the way home tonight he said, "Mom you remember being on that stage? You know you were crying." Then I recalled the recent K4 Graduation program my class did at school. "Yes," I replied. Austin continued, "You know Mom you don't have to cry on stage. Your kids will be okay. Just pray to God!" How true--from the mouths of babes! I did cry that night when I had to speak my farewells and thank yous. Just pray to God and he'll take care of those children. Those whom I may never see again and just pray that there's been a seed planted. And I should have prayed that I wouldn't cry and blubber over my words! :) But, it amazes me that that's what he remembers about that night--seeing his mother cry on stage. So, another simple lesson learned from a 4 year old...Just Pray to God.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

The simple lessons from children always seem to be so important. Austin is such a wonderful child!

Melissa Lester said...

What a sweet lesson from Austin! He is such a good boy. No wonder Mary Ashley likes him so much!

Lynne Griffies said...

What an interesting bug!

And what a sweet thing for Austin to say. I remember when Tony was little and I got a ticket for 'rolling through a stop sign'. I started crying and he told me in such a sweet little voice--"don't cry mommy, it will be okay." Our children are such precious blessings from God.

Louise said...

Austin is so sweet!
I would love to go to Charleston with someone who actually knows the place!! :)

Unknown said...

EWW an the stick bug...you were smart to find out what it was before you touched it. Very interesting! Austin is just a precious child... :-)

Chad said...

It always amazes me that kids remember things like that and can vividly recall it at a moments notice.

Gene, Kelli, and Kaitlyn said...

Hey! It took me a minute to figure out who you are, but I did! We're in Tuscaloosa--God's country--Roll Tide!

Which Sis-in-law did you see? I've only got 3, you know! :)

kellieja said...

Ahhhh! I've seen one of those bugs before. They are HUGE!!

Me on Metatrophin said...

Sweet! Thanks for the science lesson. I would have never noticed the extra bug. You learn something new every day!